Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Whiny post...

Be forewarned this is a whiny, self absorbed post! So if you choose to keep reading, it means you agree to deal with it.

Besides we are allowed one whiny post every once in awhile!

In an effort to loss some weight, I consulted a doctor who put me on Phentramine, a appetite suppressant pill. It works great! So far I have lost nearly 30 lbs! The DR also did some blood work to make sure there were no underlying causes. Well, turns out there is an underlying cause. My insulin levels are VERY high. He called them pre-diabetic high. There is a history of type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family, so this a bit scary. The DR says if I can lose all the weight and with some medication (metformin) then the insulin levels should correct themselves. But he says this is what more than likely causes me to gain weight so easily and have a hard time taking it off.

Now to the whiny, self absorbed part. After the phone call set in the "unfairs"! I am not a big soda drinker and not a big sweet eater. So how could I be pre-diabetic!

After some research and visiting with the DR. I realize it is more an issue of carbohydrates. I love my carbohydrates! Pasta, breads, rice...heart them! But with some simple switches to whole wheat pastas and breads, DR says I should feel a lot better and lose weight quicker.

And he says take the Med. So here is the why on posting all this. The meds make me so nauseous and tummy cramps! Plus I am suppose to take them with food, which does not help. Any suggestions on how to tame this from any one out there? And any suggestions on good diet switches?

Cory (and a few others) say I am way to obsessed with it all. But the only reason I am obsessed with it is because I know it is important to get it under control while I am young (shut up I am too!) and before it get out of hand.

Any tips are appreciated!

5 comments:

Amy Sorenson Roberts said...

i went in for some blood work a couple months ago and my insulin levels were pretty high too. they also called me pre-diabetic. he told me to diet and excersize and i did for the first few weeks then gave up. for some reason i am not that worried about it, even though i probably should be like you are

Lyndsy Tippetts said...

that totally sucks. I am so sorry. I have been buying the whole wheat Smart pasta from the store and my family doesn't know the difference-it looks the same and it tastes better I think. And I don't feel guilty when I eat a ton cause there is protein and fiber....blah blah.

For the nausea my suggestion is 4-5 small meals during the day (or snacks). It seems to help if your stomach isn't empty.....Ginger Ale is supposed to help, but Root Beer helped me....

The Mayhews said...

Shilo! I did the same thing!! I got to it through a different route, but i too was on Metformin! I was labeled "pre-diabetic" too. Did the doc start you on metformin gradually? That makes a HUGE difference! Your supposed to start with a really small dose (like half a pill at a time), then after a week or two - go up to 1 pill at a time for a couple weeks. And so on... If you ever get nauseous your supposed to try it that way for a couple days, and if it stays- go back to the last dosing that didn't make you sick. Also there is a generic med for metformin that works the same. Most people work better with one or the other. If you get tummy problems from one, the other is supposed to work better. I hope your doc went over all this with you!! The first doc that prescribed me didn't tell me anything so i stopped taking it. The second one explained it all a lot better! Good Luck with it all, and if you have any more Q's just ask! Hope it goes well!

The Mayhews said...

Oh, and one more funny thing about Metformin... The first doc said a side effect of the drug was pregnancy. Funny, I thought pregnancy was a "side effect" of sex. But apparently it makes you more fertile! :)

The Johnsons said...

Yikes in the fertile part! He didn't explain all that to me. But now I know what to ask him. I am seeing a trend here, two of my cousions, one on each side with the same thing? Is this fairly common? Thanks Everyone for your support!