Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Old man Tippetts

Today is my dads birthday. While he might say this is his 30th and we kids might say it is his 60th it is, in all actually, his 54th.

This is going to be such a looong post (ya know, cause he is so old JK dad, love you!)

Okay here is 54 facts, and reasons why we love dad/papa.

1. The day I was married was so hard for him (he never said that, but I knew). When he walked me down the isle and he "gave" me to Cory he whispered to Cory "I'll get my cows later". Cory had never seen John Lingo before and spent the entire ceremony thinking my dad was off his rocker!

2. Dad loves to fish.
3. His favorite fishing hole is Robs Reservoir (no, I can't tell you where it is at, he would kill me!


4. He would much rather have a cinnamon roll over a brownie.
5. Give him a pie not a cake with candles on it, cause cake aint his thing either!
6. Dad served his mission in Arizona.
7. As a child he was "forced" to vacation in the desert because his dad collected rocks and stuff.
8. When I was little he use to play the accordion, not so much now.
9. He is very talented at wood working.
10. We all hope he will draw our name at Christmas cause he usually makes something for that person.

(This is what I got the year he drew my name, he MADE this!)

11. He loves country music, but not this new Fancy stuff, give him the good old stuff! He introduced me to Dolly Parton, who I still love.
12. I think Levi and Gavin look just like him
13. and I think he looks just like my Grandpa Tippetts.
14. When gunner entered his first pinewood Derby, the first thing he said was "Grandpa will help me do it" not his dad (which was fine with Cory!)

15. He is a sucker for his grandkids.

16. He has 5 granddaughters and 3 grandsons.
17. He has 3 daughters and 1 son.
18. Are your arms and legs painted on!
19. On a free weekend, which are far and few between, he likes to throw his stuff in his 5th wheel (including my mom!) and head out camping.
20. He has 7 siblings.
21. He was raised in Lindon.
22. Ask him about his El Camino.
23. He and mom were married in the Provo temple.
24. He is a champion egg decorator. (seriously, that is an egg!)


25. When I was a teenager, on the 4th of July we would go and get Japanese food.
26. He introduced me to sushi.
27. When I was little, he would take me to get a new dress every year on my birthday.
28. Were you raised in a barn.
29. He prefers wranglers.
30. He owned the same pair of church shoes my entire childhood.
31. All that awesome stuff my mom makes at Halloween, yea those don't start awesome and she tries them out on him.
32. He currently works at Lowes but has also worked at Home Depot and Home Base.
33. Dad will eat pretty much anything.
34. When he is in charge of dinner, watch out...he doesn't use recipes and if it is in the fridge, then in it goes.
35. He has a soft spot for Zoe, his grandpuppy who lives with him, but he tries to hide it.
36. He has a big scar on his knee, from knee surgery.
37. When I was about 5 I found a picture of him as a teen on the trampoline doing a back flip, I thought that was the coolest picture!
38. He would take Levi and I to the park every March/April for kite flying. I don't know how he does it, put he can get a kite so far in the air almost like magic!


39. His marriage to mom inspires me.
40. Cory claims him as his dad and most people at his work thought the really were father and son not son in law.
41. Ask him to tell you the Timbuktu joke.
42. He is an amazing carver not just of wood but watermelons also.
43. Don't ever let him make the kool aid.
44. He loves Oatmeal Raisin cookies, which he passed on to Gunner.
45. He is the most easy going guy, unless you are a teenager caught sneaking out.
46. When I was little he worked for a counter top/cabinet place and he always smelled like saw dust, to this day the smell of saw dust makes me miss my dad!
47. He built the house that he and my mom currently live in.
48. He taught me how to garden and about plants.
49. He loves Columbine, I think it reminds him of Robs.
50. About 5 years ago my car broke down on the side of the freeway. It was 1 in the morning. He was who I called to come get me. And he did with out one complaint!
51. He has the best sense of humor.
52. He very rarely gets sick.
53. One of my earliest memories is of a Strawberry shortcake piggy bank that he made for me, I loved that thing!
54. He looks great in a flannel shirt!

Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks for always being there for us, putting up with our stupid stunts and making us laugh! We hope you know how much we love and appreciate you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Shilo,

Kevin's taller than my dad and he's not as ashen. :)

BUT Terry reminded all of us....he won't eat PARSNIPS!! No Way No How!!

xoxo,
Aunt Cindy